Monday, September 27, 2010

'No' Translates to What, Exactly in Baby Talk... ?

Cool mom thing... or not so cool mom thing... I'm planning Pavel's first birthday party - 45 days in advance.. whoa, 45 days and he's going to be ONE!?! For real? In 45 days, he'll have been in my life, in my arms 'this time last year', 45 days away and he'll be dating, at the NHL draft or studying ballet in NYC, getting married, and totally not in love with Mommy anymore.

Party Canceled.


Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip Clop.

I left Pavel in the living room at the foot of the couch as I ran upstairs to grab my phone charger. We just got home, so he still had a pair of his fancy dad approved sneakers on.

Clip clop. Clip clop.

I run downstairs as fast as I can... 'Uh oh, NO! Pavel, don't move!'

He's so very proudly walked himself through the kitchen to the bottom of the stairs and today he decided he'd climb them!

Every day, all day, every fourth or fifth word. NO!

Pavel, no. Pavel, mommy said no. Pavel, listen to mommy please.

Pavel! (Said in a really deep voice, like dad's.. who he listens to, of course)

I think that we have been lucky, because Pavel didn't learn how to crawl until he was nine months old. I had nine months of being able to put him down and walk away or enjoy my coffee or talk on the phone.

Two weeks later, he started walking. A few steps at a time at first. Wow, did we ever cheer, clap, 'yeah Pavel!!!' all day long. That may have been a mistake.

Now he's so proud of himself, he's started walking around all alone, with a giant 'Look at me!' smile. Doesn't matter if there isn't anyone there to see it.

To be honest, I'm so happy he's started walking. I know it's going to be an inconvenience for us and our lazy, relaxing time, but I love how he's growing up and how happy it makes him.
On the other hand, I've had experienced friends who have tried to warn me not to teach him to walk because he'll learn in due time. That may not have been bad advice.



Every single wire in the house, Pavel will find and chew. Have you ever noticed how many cords you have in your home? Too many.

The first thing Pavel does every morning is get his butt over to the TV stand in our room and turn the Play Station on. Loves to see that light go from red to green. I actually don't mind this, but when he sees the modem hiding behind it, he loves to pick it up and smash it over and over again on the glass stand.

I was getting ready the other morning in our ensuite. I set Pavel down at the foot of the bed with some toys. Probably about 7 seconds later I hear a tinfoil noise.
'Oh great, what is he eating now?' I say. 'Pavel, look at mommy please'
He's on his tippy toes at dad's night table drinking a pop.

Pavel loves jewelry. At our workout classes, he will ditch me and go hang out with his favorite lady friend (and instructor), Andrea. She's got a great big fancy necklace she wears and he always goes for that first. Then he'll go for watches. And then earrings. I'm hoping he's mentally keeping note of future Christmas gifts for mom.

I'm saying NO all the time. I hate saying no. I hate that already, he listens to daddy way better than me. Today he actually looked at me and smiled as he was trying to pull the metal side table over.  Yes the one with the heavy coffee table books on it. Same thing he did yesterday.
(we have done some child proofing, but no, we haven't changed our entire house... yet)




Don't even get me started on how hard diaper changes, brushing teeth, and the bed time routine has become. I'm literally sweating by the end of it.

Do any of you guys have some ideas for me on how I can say NO, other than saying N.O. - NO?

And if he's already smiling at me while doing something he's not supposed to be doing, what will happen when he's making big decisions, like homework, kissing, alcohol and drugs?

I was chatting with my life coach when I first became pregnant. I asked her how to be a good parent.
'What makes the difference between the parents whose children leave home early, do drugs, drop out of school, rebel... and those whose children excel, are focused, who tell their mom how pretty she is and that they love her Every. Single. Day. ?'

Her response:
'Oh, don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll figure it out'

Translation: no idea.

GREAT.

Please. I'm asking for advice! Let me know what works and what doesn't!

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

PS. Yes, I know he's still a baby... and yes, I realize it would be a miracle at this age if he actually listened to me!

PPS. We found him a great day home. He's been going the odd time when mommy has some things she must take care of Pavel free and Nannie isn't available to come give him some snuggles. We LOVE it there!! Ceyda and Nadia.. thank you so much for putting my mommy guilt at ease!!

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

distract, distract, distract. Instead of saying "no". Direct him to a more positive activity. But, yay on the walking!!

Hope that helps :)

Jenny Adams said...

Good one Rhi! Thanks!!

Play Safe Kids said...

Nice Blog & cure Bab....


Baby Toys