Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Big Move...

Cool mom thing.. or not so cool mom thing..

I've got nothing. Sometimes that happens.


Pavel's first birthday is November 11. Wow. I can't believe it's coming so soon!! I have so much to say about the last year.. more than I already have believe it or not. So over the next little while, I'll be sharing a bit more than usual! (So sorry about the blog slacking.. but it takes me time to think through my topic choices!!)

When I was 23, I bought myself a new condo. Well, I bought the contract to a condo that was going to be built. It was my first place. 700 square feet, the perfect amount of space.. and right smack downtown. Gorgeous location. I was very proud of my first home purchase.
From the day I signed that document, I was told I'd have to wait approximately 1 year for possession.

 Ha. Ha. Ha.

To make a really long, annoying story straight - don't ever buy a home with Abbey Lane Homes.. and it took us three years to move in.

YES, I SAID THREE LONG YEARS.

Sheldon and I moved in 9 months after we were married and five months later, I was pregnant.

It makes sense that the story I'm about to share is not uncommon. In fact, I think it's more common than not that people get pregnant, and end up moving to a bigger place... right before the baby comes.

We hummed and hawed over moving out of the condo or making it work in a small space.

'People in New York City do it all the time!!'

In the end, we made the tough decision to find something else, even though we loved the space we waited so long for, and did want more time to enjoy it (yes, we should have thought this through more when we decided to pull the goalie!... ewe.. I can't believe I just typed that and am not going to erase it.).










The hunt began. Okay, it wasn't really a hunt. We went to the neighbourhood we wanted, visited some developers, and basically bought the only thing that had a possession date before baby P was to arrive.

We bought a property floor plan unseen. It was a spec home that was the developer's base model. We couldn't pick or change a thing.

To me it really wasn't a big deal.. you're having a baby, life is really changing.. worry about making it look how you want a few months or years down the road, once you're settled.. Right?

Well, no. Not if you know my husband. When he moves in, he needs everything done, ASAP.. including blinds and buying a new broom for the garage! It's annoying! It's expensive! But.. it's pretty awesome too.

We received possession of our new place on October 20th last year. I was due on November 2nd.

I would just like to stop an interject right now and let you know that for the last two moves (into our condo, and into our current home... when I was 9 months pregnant!!), my husband has been away on business. Is he for real? 9 months pregnant and I'M the one moving everything and coordinating the tradespeople?
Thank goodness for moms.. wow, was I ever lucky she was there to help out every step of the way. For the next move, Sheldon has been informed that he is sending my mom and I away to the beach for a week.

Sorry, I digress... We move in on the 20th.. baby coming November 2nd.. in 8 days, we completely transformed our 'base model, lino carpet, laminate counter top... ' home, into basically a brand new place.

We replaced:
- The lino flooring on the main level
- The upstairs carpet
- The lino upstairs in the bathrooms
- The appliances
- The cabinetry
- Kitchen counters
- Kitchen back splash
- The fireplace
- The closet organizers.

May I just say, being pregnant and renovating an entire home may seem like a crazy idea.. and yes, some days it was stressful.. but we had everything done on time. No one showed up late, no one forgot parts or tried to cancel on their install last minute.. in fact, the closet guys tried to reschedule and this was my response..
'I'm going to have this baby any second and if I don't have these closet organizers put in I'm not going to be able to unpack (insert tears), the only thing I want to do is unpack my baby's clothes (more tears.. not fake ones either.. hormones) and now I'm going to have to wait till.... '

They were there later that day. And I know what you're thinking, but I was not rude to anyone.. I just think they were scared the baby was going to pop out in front of them!

Because it's our year anniversary of living here.. and because I just wrapped filming a new show I'm hosting called Show Home Parade, where I got to learn design tips in 30 different how homes across the city... I thought I'd share some before and after shots. Enjoy!

Kitchen Before:



Kitchen During:


Concrete counter tops. Took 5 people to carry that slab in the house!
We love them!! www.concretecat.com


 Kitchen After:

Ah... the two toned kitchen.. You'll have to watch Show Home Parade for my take on these.


Livingroom Before: 






Livingroom During:


We used wide plank distressed hardwood. It's great because it doesn't show nicks and scratches!

Love our concrete fireplace!!
Living Room After:





Pavel's Room Before:
The carpet looks decent in this picture, but believe me, it wasn't.


Pavel's Room After:
We have a queen bed in here in case you want to come visit!!


Our Closet Before:


Our Closet After: 

Best money I've ever spent is putting in closet organizers.

We used Compartment Closets for these and they were nearly 50% cheaper than California Closets.


And because I'm a proud wife.. here is some of Sheldon's most recent artwork. Everything in our house (except one) was created by him. He was inspired to do some painting after Pavel was born.. something he hadn't done since college.

This is of a campground near my mother's cottage in the Gaspe. 

I think he just liked this picture from a magazine.

I remember the first night we stayed in our new home. I fell asleep listening to wolves howling in the farmer's field near by. Quite the contrast from the lights of the cityscape, sirens and traffic noise I listened to just the night before. It felt like we had moved to a whole new world... turns out.. we had.


Jenny


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Do you have the website for "Compartment Closets"? I'd love to check it out. I loved California Closets but found the price to be a little much.

Jenny Adams said...

Yup! It's http://www.compartment.ca/home.html
D'Arcy is the guy to talk to.

You will save so much money and I'm telling you, if it's not the same stuff, it's pretty darn close. We had Cali closets in our condo.. I can't tell the difference!

Jenny