Friday, September 23, 2011

Dear Bully,


a few seconds ago
Jenny Adams Pietrzykowski
  • Hi M,

    I'm not sure if you remember me from high school. I'm Jenny Adams. I was a year younger than you.
    You certainly remain in my mind from time to time.. I'm not sure if you know the affect you had on the way I spent those years in high school, or the memories I have of it now.

    I have my own child now, I'm not sure if you do as well.. but it frightens me to think that he could be bullied in school or asked/told to fight at parties, or have bullies and their friends show up at his house and fight his parents, or break into their garages/cars.

    I don't want to think of him crying in his room at night, afraid to go to school, angry with his family - for no fault of their own. Embarrassed. As a mother, I don't think I'll be able to handle that. Me one thing, him.. no, not my baby.

    You may wonder why I am writing this to you now, of all times.. I just read this article in the Journal and it made me think of how I will react now as a parent if my child is being bullied or is a bully.

    I'm hoping that the cycle of bullies stop with them. That bullies learn a lesson from their actions and don't allow their own children to act the same. I'm hoping that if bullies think about their actions as teenagers from time to time, they think of how they could have acted differently or how they will teach their children to act differently.

    Do you think that's true?

    Anyway, I'm sure I must have done something to make you mad.. I'm just glad that I was big enough to take the abuse, and walk away and know now that any problems, big or small can usually be solved with a mature conversation.. and not with threats of violence or verbal abuse.

    Hope you are well.

    Jenny Adams

No comments: